11.07.2011

In the news: UC Davis Professor interviewed--Climate Change may Equal Change in Grapes


Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot--these are all common varietals found in California. But what if the projected shift in climate makes it difficult to grow these cold-climate varieties? NPR has written this article, which considers the idea of a shift in viticultural approaches, including some new grape varietal additions to California. I find it especially appealing since one of my viticulture professors at UC Davis, Dr. Andy Walker, was featured and interviewed in this very news article. I encourage anyone interested to check it out!

{We might be seeing a change in varietals used to make wine}

Have you ever tried Barbera, Negroamaro, Nero d'Avola, or any other wines not commonly grown in California?
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. All three are what I consider to be rustic wines that pair well with food. There are some decent Barbera wines out there, but you really have to hunt. Nero d'Avola is fun because it's from Sicily, usually an incredibly good value, everyday drinking wine, and easy to find.
    My least favorite of the three, is Negroamaro. Actually tastes like the name translates to: dark and bitter. I do think there are some diamonds in the rough...
    if anyone knows of any worthy ones, please post.
    but overall, generally not my style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's awesome. We'll have to try some good Barbera or Nero d'Avola over the holidays together! :)
    Reading your comment inspired me to actually try a Sicilian wine. I found a Nero d'Avola at Trader Joes the other day and sampled it with a friend, but neither of us liked it! I'm not completely surprised though since the wine was only $4.99 haha!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...