9.27.2011

TASTING NOTES—2010 Singature Viognier: Darioush

{TASTING NOTES TUESDAY}
{photo property of Darioush Winery, Napa Valley. Click for larger view}
I went back to Napa last weekend for a fun day trip with some of my girlfriends. And as we were driving along Silverado Trail, Darioush was a winery we simply couldn't pass up. I tasted their Signature Flight, which included five of their signature wines: Viognier, Chardonnay, Merlot, and two vintages of Cabernet Sauvignon.
--
This week I wanted to feature the Darioush 2010 Signature Viognier, mostly because this wine really stood out to me and I don't think I have had anything like it. One of the employees behind the bar even told me that people who come into Darioush who are not huge fans of white wines and choose usually to be red-wine drinkers end up leaving with a bottle or two with this Viognier--I definitely see this happening because this wine has so much complexity, is not sweet yet has a wonderful balance of acidity and floral, peach-cream and honey-suckle taste to it. AND, I totally regret not taking a bottle home with me! But you have to save something for next time, right? ;)
--
Wine Spectator even said this wine is "very refreshing, showing a lip-smacking acidity that gives a fresh, vibrant feel to the apricot, peach, nectarine and citrus flavors. Wonderful purity and persistence mark the finish, punctuated by a terrific sleekness. Drink now." Gotta love it.
--
Cheers,
B

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...